A Summer of New Beginnings


I’m sitting at my kitchen bar in my sunny studio in LA, listening to Jazmine Sullivan-inspired Pandora radio station, and feeling so happy to be here. I’m excited about the new beginnings that my first real experience living in LA means. New beginnings don’t come without some endings:

School: My first year of Harvard Business School is over. Arguably, the hardest—and most memorable—part of my HBS experience is behind me. It was a year where I learned a lot in and outside of the classroom about how the world works and what part I want to play in it.

Love: My 20-day boyfriend turned out to be just that. I wasn’t ready for the hard work that comes with making a relationship work. I especially wasn’t ready for the hard work that comes with making a long distance relationship work. Q is a winner, and I think we’d be a great match–someday. Maybe we’ll find each other again under better circumstances, or maybe we were meant to have a brief and intense encounter that will guide us in our future relationships. Only time will tell.

I’ve also had my first positive and negative media “networking” encounters:

Ca-ching!: Thanks to a tip I received from Sean, a very attractive and friendly Virgin America flight attendant, I found out that Norm MacDonald was on my flight. Considering the luck I’d had when meeting Maria Menounos, I decided to approach him. He turned out to be my homie for thirty minutes while we stupidly waited for our bags to come out on the belt when they were standing in a corner ten feet away. Norm Macdonald has been a part of my life since I was in high school when me and JJ were the popcorn-makers at Cinemark Tinseltown 17 and had to watch the repeated trailer for Norm Macdonald’s movie Screwed at least twenty times a day. I told Norm about how his trailer was seared on my brain and then I gave him my elevator pitch, after which he gave me his number (literally handed his phone to me and was like “I don’t know my number but call yourself from my phone”). He said he’ll help me find an agent and opportunities in television. Just to make sure he was for real, I asked skeptically, “Are you actually going to answer the phone when I call?” and he said “Of course! What kind of person do you think I am?!” Hopefully one who says what he means.

Ding!: I didn’t have the same luck at the airport with RuPaul who saw the hungry gleam in my eyes and quickly slipped away from me nor this morning with the oh-so-beautiful Chiwetel Ejiofor who looked at me like I was the wannabe from hell when I approached him while on Melrose today. He was as nice as he could be without telling me to get lost, and it was my first taste of what might be many rejections. I definitely made an impression though. If he ever sees me out again, he’ll remember me as the crazy girl from Harvard who approached him and his friends. I’ll keep working on my pitch and make sure to never forget my business cards.

This is just the beginning of my LA adventure. I’m excited to be pursuing my dreams—even if it does hurt a little sometimes.

Related Articles:

How to Keep Him Calling Back

6 Great Things About Spring And Dating

Seduction is Manipulation

Crafting a Nickname that will Help in the Dating Game

Texting Rules in Online and Offline Dating

Who Pays For The Date?

Heat Up His Desire Inflict Pain

Try Speed Dating!

The Proper Place for Drama

Get One Thing Done

How Important Is Chemistry?

How to Make Your Boyfriend Miss You 


Комментарии

Популярные сообщения из этого блога

I HAD SEX WITH A STRANGER FROM CRAIGSLIST AND HE DIDN'T TRY TO KILL ME!

What do men fantasize about? What’s “cool”?

How to Make That First Date Great!